High Performance Mustangs Inc.  

Go Back   High Performance Mustangs Inc. > Technical Discussion > Suspension/Chassis Tech

Suspension/Chassis Tech Chassis | Suspension

Old 05-31-2012, 02:18 PM
I'm your pusher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle View Post
I cannot wait to see the zl1 v. gt500!
Its gonna be interesting to see if and where the ZL1 is faster and/or what explanations the fans will come up when it looses LOL
Old 05-31-2012, 02:24 PM
HPM Supporting Member

Maybe if the next generation mustang will be lighter so therefore the braking will be better.

US Navy Seabee, NMCB 22/27 OEF 09-10
Old 05-31-2012, 02:34 PM

I don't care what wins, can't afford either one.

I'm just happy we finally have a force fed v force fed factory pony car
Old 05-31-2012, 05:20 PM
HPM Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AmericanMuscle View Post
I don't care what wins, can't afford either one.

I'm just happy we finally have a force fed v force fed factory pony car
I agree 100%
Old 06-01-2012, 10:17 PM
HPM Supporting Member

Well, that keeps me off the road course...
Old 06-01-2012, 10:22 PM
HPM Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlackDragon View Post
Well, that keeps me off the road course...
I thought that you were coming on the track with me.
Old 06-01-2012, 10:30 PM
HPM Supporting Member

I was, am, but you put up stuff like this... Calling my brakes decorative doesn't inspire confidence. But, I already did s/s lines and motul synthetic fluid, trying to address what I already know is a shortcoming. But before I take her out with you, I'm gonna put in the ford racing adjustable suspension (aka shelby gt350 suspension) and try and stop this tank from rolling and diving. I would like to a least make a decent showing of myself.
Old 06-01-2012, 11:57 PM

Isn't the synthetic or dot 5/5.1 whatever they are more hydroscopic then normal brake fluid?

Are the brake failing due to boiling brake fluid or just brake fad from high heat ?
Old 06-02-2012, 07:15 AM
HPM Supporting Member

synthetic is supposed to be less hygroscopic than normal.

The common theme is supposed to be pedal dropping to the floor, which is the indicator of boiled brake fluid
Old 06-02-2012, 08:09 AM
HPM Supporting Member

Ate Super Blue Racing Brake Fluid is what I use. It is from Germany.

Ant, your car will do fine just as it is on the track. I did not mean to call your brakes decorative. They are fine for the track. In your first few track events you will not push those brakes past their limit. In the test of the Mustang vs Camaro Randy Pobst was pushing the cars way harder than you will.

My first year on track was 2008. I ran stock calipers, rotors, brake lines and only upgraded the pads. That was enough braking for as hard as I was running. The next year I upgraded to slotted DBA rotors, SS brake lines, and ATE Fluid. Once again that was enough for me.

My car back then was putting 300rwhp and now I am up almost 50 more after some work from Keith and Kevin. I am now driving faster and braking later. I tried running my car with the ceramic pads that came with the big brakes. With those pads I could not stop with confidence. I now run Performance Friction Race Pads. They are the same material that NASCAR runs. WOW!!!!!! What a big difference! I almost put myself thru the windshield!

To answer your questions about brake fade ect .. here is some things I observed on track.

In 2010 at Summit Point WV I was playing with a CTS-V on track. Wow! He was so fast down the 3,000 foot straight. In the pits he was complaining about brake fade. He had the big brakes from Caddy. I asked him what brake fluid he had and when did he change it. Well the answer was, "What ever Caddy put in on my $65K car is good enough for me and who ever heard of changing brake fluid" Well he ended up in the gravel pit at the end of the straight ... not much damage ...

Last year at Pocono a young guy in a Boss 302 that had something to prove to me overheated his brakes and ended up with an off track experience. I will not repost that video in fears I will scare people away.

Last month at Watkins Glen a guy in a Mini Cooper S had upgraded brake pads and rotors. It allowed him to run real hard until his brake lines melted and brake fluid started spraying on the track. It actually caught fire. He pulled into the pits and they had to spray his car down to put out the fire.

My point here Ant, is to start tracking your car like it is. You have nothing to prove to no one. Upgrade your car as you advance on the track. Try the track with your current set up. Hey, it is better on the track then an M3 stock ... so that says a lot. If you like the track then start the upgrades. Track suspension on the streets is not the most comfortable. It should only be done if you are going to track your car. Unless of course you just want bragging rights that you have it.

I am doing Pocono single infield in July. It is a great set up to learn on. Plenty of time on the long straights combined with some turns.

I do not think we are going to run the bus stop. We run the track in a clockwise direction unlike NASCAR that does it counter clockwise.
Old 06-02-2012, 09:35 AM
HPM Supporting Member

Well see how the funds go. I would feel a ton more comfortable getting my suspension done before I track it. The brake dive is pretty crazy. Its the one thing that scares me on this car.

Supposedly the frpp adjustables are pretty close to stock when at full soft. Plus my car looks like an suv, lol...

-Ant
Old 06-02-2012, 09:36 AM
HPM Supporting Member

But I promise you we'll be on the track this year.

-Ant