High Performance Mustangs Inc.  

Go Back   High Performance Mustangs Inc. > Technical Discussion > Suspension/Chassis Tech

Suspension/Chassis Tech Chassis | Suspension

Old 03-06-2012, 09:50 AM
HPM Supporting Member

Wink ball joint job turned into controll arm replacement

sigh, i hope this will help any other novice (i'm learning a lot with my first cobra) last thursday i took on a ball joint swap (steeda x2) by myself. i thought the only interesting part would be pressing the units in and out. i wasn't intimidated b/c of fulltiltboogies crossaxis joint kit w/tool so i had a good idea on how to press the ball joints in and out. no worries right?

well i rented a ball joint press from auto zone and got to work

it is at this point that i would like to point out what i saw as the problem. my ignorance regarding the "cup" to use that would be pushing on the ball joint and my nature to assume that the ball joint kit was complete with the proper cup fiting. i thought i was looking for a cup the same size as the outter part of the ball joint not one that was a little bigger than the ball joint stud.

NEEDLESS to say with the ill fiting cup the press was going all sorts of crooked as you can tell and there was no way of getting the cup to sit proper b/c of the stud....

so for a good ten minutes in the dark and rain b/c at that point it was 7 at night i used a nuematic (spelling) cutting wheel... attached to a pancake compressor (looking back it was funny) to shorten the stud so the cup would sit properly. after i got the cup to sit flat i saw a glimpse of hope as the ball joint press slowly went down for the first time! only problem was i used the wrong cup that was ever so slightly bigger then the outter most part of the ball joint and i scored/****edup the control arms recieving hole for the ball joint!

so this was the day after (friday) i called into work said i was puking and took my control arms out and ordered http://www.latemodelrestoration.com/...r-Control-Arms and will be putting the steeda x2's in there on arrival with the proper press

until then my love is sitting at my parents place and i am rocking the prius! i will up date with the install of the new control arms which should be in wed if not thursday! just in time for the sunny weather in nj!

seriously though i hope this helps keep anyone else from making a mistake go easy i know i don't know everything and am open to any helpful critics!
Old 03-06-2012, 09:52 AM
HPMustangs.com
Owner and Founder

Great post man....... Ball joints just suck to do
Old 03-06-2012, 10:01 AM
HPM Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipes View Post
Great post man....... Ball joints just suck to do
thank you! and yes i went crazy looking for a tac weld or c ring keeping it in but alas what is it they say??? the right tool makes the job easy?

i was told the proper press cup is slightly bigger then the ball joint stud and sits on the ball at the bottom of the stud not the outer most part of the bj!

i just try to look at it as a mess up/up grade with the new 03/04 cobra style control arm kit.
Old 03-06-2012, 10:14 AM
HPM Supporting Member

ahhh just remembered... did any one else ever take off the front control arms on this sn95 new age (not sure the exact bodystyle name) ????
wtf who thought it would be good to put the steering rack in the way of the control arm bolts! the kick in the nuts was def having to take the steering rack off it's mounts ever so carefully to allow clearance to take these bolts out! sorry again for the lack of pictures but wow that sucked!

ANYONE WITH THIS BODY STYLE BE PREPARED TO REMOVE A K MEMBER BOLT ON EACH SIDE AND MOVE THE STEERING RACK<<<< i'll get more pics when i install the control arms thursday
Old 03-06-2012, 11:29 AM
HPMustangs.com
Owner and Founder

Man, you are learning the hard way. Great info though.
Old 03-06-2012, 12:26 PM
HPM Supporting Member

The second to last pic is priceless.

Sorry to hear about your troubles. Good luck with everything

US Navy Seabee, NMCB 22/27 OEF 09-10
Old 03-06-2012, 02:49 PM
HPM Supporting Member

no need for special tools to remove ball joints, Big friggin hammer, small propane torch or 2, and smack them out....sorry to hear of your struggle
Old 03-06-2012, 04:00 PM