High Performance Mustangs Inc.  

Go Back   High Performance Mustangs Inc. > Technical Discussion > Suspension/Chassis Tech

Suspension/Chassis Tech Chassis | Suspension

Old 03-18-2012, 12:52 PM
HPM Supporting Member

just so visually anyone about to do this job knows the clearence issues and for a novice to touch the steering rack (on your own car)(when you have no more money at that moment for more parts) i was nervous!

so now this beast is back together... and there is noise (clunks) coming from the spring cups... i've gotten bbk iso's for when i first put it back together last week. called the company that sent them to me and got a free upgrade to prothane iso's ... still clunks. i'm guessing not many of ya'll have used this cobra 03 - 04 control arm kit for the 01 but as far as i can see as a cause for the noise is that there must be some slight difference in the cup on the control arm holding the spring??? i will be taking it apart and comparing how the spring sat in the old stock control arms vs these new upgrades. i hope that there is a slight difference and all i will need to do is re surface the end of the spring to match the cup????

once again... AHHH HELP if ya can if not sit back and wait for the next interesting step
Old 03-18-2012, 06:20 PM
HPMustangs.com
Owner and Founder

Im not certain, but I dont think the spring cup will be any different. Ford has not changed much on the spring cups since 79.
Old 03-18-2012, 09:47 PM
HPM Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipes View Post
Im not certain, but I dont think the spring cup will be any different. Ford has not changed much on the spring cups since 79.
ugh i'm sure you're right but i'm going crazy here!!!!
so the end of the isolator should be even with the end of the spring? and then you put the ****er in where the end of the spring(and iso) sit at the lowest point in the cup??? right!?

ii took the driver side suspension apart and "re-sat" the thing three times today! First i smoothed the edge of the spring so it wasn't sharp and wouldn't tear this isolator like it did the last set then one try i just left the spring iso about a half inch past the end of the spring(so the spring sat inside the isolator and no metal was showing. it still clunked (the clunk is most noticable when you putt your hand under the spring cup, then i sat the end of spring and isolator about an inch from the lowest point in the cup so it would maybe "sit" it's self in as i drove and no... still ****ing clunk clunk f u hansel clunk. so i just put it back as perfectly as i could place it and grrrr clunks,

any opinions?

tuesday i'm taking both passenger and driver apart so i can try to make sense of why my passenger side is fine up front and maybe the fix will show it's self threw comparison

trudging threw the cobra forest hoping to get to the finish line with a ride that will be able to be called complete! come journey!
Old 03-21-2012, 09:17 PM
HPM Supporting Member

tomorow first thing this car and i are going to a trusted shop in hamburg nj on rt 94, i pray this will end my front end clunky... i even removed the sway bar and went around the block to make sure it wasn't the cause.... of course it wasnt but i had to try. i pray i get to excitedly conclude this story tomorow from my droid in the shop =D
Old 03-22-2012, 07:36 AM
HPMustangs.com
Owner and Founder

Good luck man, keep us posted.
Old 03-25-2012, 01:52 PM
HPM Supporting Member

Thumbs down

so the shop tried telling me that the steeda x2 ball joint was the wrong part because the sound WAs coming from the bj (stethoscope) so he told me call steeda, I was then in the middle of a shop owner and a rep trying to not take responsibility (but so was the shop owner aka the people that pressed the ball joint in) lets just say I was getting no where like that, so after calming the owner down he says I will tighten the shit out of your ball joint but your after market parts aren't fitting well with each other, so a two inch by 6foot breaker bar later..... =/ no noise, I just don't feel well about the crazy amount of extra torture used to"fix" the issue, any opinions?
Old 03-25-2012, 03:12 PM
HPMustangs.com
Owner and Founder

Welcome to the world of after market parts........

Keep an ear/eye on it and go from there.
Old 03-27-2012, 09:11 AM
HPM Supporting Member

Quote:
Welcome to the world of after market parts........

Keep an ear/eye on it and go from there.
will do i already swear i still feel the movement that caused the noise up front but no noise!

o well i'll let kevin play with it then after that we will see what its like come track day!!!
Old 03-27-2012, 05:48 PM
HPMustangs.com
Owner and Founder

When does she go down to Kevins?
Old 03-31-2012, 01:00 PM
HPM Supporting Member

Quote:
When does she go down to Kevins?
Sorry Wes! Got crazy busy getting her ready for Kev! I dropped her off last night! Kevin is one chill dude! Poor guy is stuck at that dealership =p stealer ship! I'm exited to see what his input is! Woot woot! TY Again for the hook up Wes.
Old 03-31-2012, 09:18 PM
HPMustangs.com
Owner and Founder

Cool man, glad she is getting the work done
Old 05-20-2012, 02:27 PM
HPM Supporting Member

Cool SORRY IT TOOK SO LONG, lets end this

so to end this lets start with a fyi to any one about to mess with the conrtol arms on this body style (sn95) ... ford has taken to hiding a few fun things around the Control Arm bolts!

the 15mm bolt head to the left(one on both rear facing sides of both front control arms) helps hold the k membmer in place and will only let your get this Control Arm bolt our far enough to say WTF

THEN you go for the front facing bolts and realize you have to pop the god damn steering rack off

General heads up for ball joints pay a pro if you dont know exactly whats up make sure if you rent a press for the ball joint, the cup that pushes the joint threw is the PROPER FIT, my mess up ruined my control arms, so i upgraded to 03/04 style cobra control arms and i payed a pro to put the steeda ball joints into the new CA's

wise words from my dog

"ball joint jobs stress me out"
Old 05-20-2012, 10:25 PM
HPM Supporting Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hansel View Post

wise words from my dog

"ball joint jobs stress me out"
Some times a picture is worth a thousand words!