High Performance Mustangs Inc.  

Go Back   High Performance Mustangs Inc. > Technical Discussion > Modular Tech/Performance

Modular Tech/Performance External Engine | Internal Engine | Modular Tech Topics Only | Performance Results

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #16  
Old 03-26-2014, 02:55 AM
NeverEnuff's Avatar
NeverEnuff NeverEnuff is offline
HPM Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyO View Post
I will do one of my usual build threads as long as Glen doesn't complain that I work on "rusty junk."

Here is the car that we are starting with:



It is getting a Sullivan intake and a carb set up. Electronics will be a DIS6. We will be putting a fogger on it and we intend to spray it with about a 300 shot.

I have been accumulating parts for a while. Now I just need to accumulate some time!

looks like a good base.

May I suggest the use of the MSD Mod 6. No need for distributor and wires...etc.etc Uses the stock 4v Cops for a clean install, just uses the crank trigger, cam trigger and you can wire in a 2 bar MAP (comes with it) for vacuum advance if desired. Very clean setup, and easy to tune.
__________________
89 Notch-NVR ENUF
01-Lightning-built, cammed, sprayed, daily
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 03-26-2014, 08:13 AM
MartyO's Avatar
MartyO MartyO is offline
Super Duper MO derator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hiram, GA
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff View Post
other than that...If I was running run of the mill 4v heads, I would honestly just buy a set of MAC headers and cut them to make them work. For the price and material needed to make them work. I wouldn't see it being much of a problem.
I have a set of '03-'04 Cobra heads in the car.

I tried using a set of BBK long tubes from a 4.6 but they were no bueno.

There was apparently a company called FTP that made headers but I can not find any soloed information for them.

Some folks recommended the JBA 4v shorty headers but I am not sure which ones they are suggesting. The other problems are not only are they not cheap, from the pictures that I have seen, they look like they will be a tight squeeze too.

Once I get past this hurdle, the rest of the car should be a pretty straight forward build.


Oh, and another thought I have is to use K member spacers, which "shoo;d" pick me up "some" room.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by 5.0 Mustang Magazine
They took little Wesley wherever they went.....
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 03-26-2014, 09:31 AM
Snipes's Avatar
Snipes Snipes is offline
HPMustangs.com
Owner and Founder
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Posts: 15,646
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff View Post
looks like a good base.

May I suggest the use of the MSD Mod 6. No need for distributor and wires...etc.etc Uses the stock 4v Cops for a clean install, just uses the crank trigger, cam trigger and you can wire in a 2 bar MAP (comes with it) for vacuum advance if desired. Very clean setup, and easy to tune.
This guy knows his chit
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 03-26-2014, 10:26 AM
MartyO's Avatar
MartyO MartyO is offline
Super Duper MO derator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hiram, GA
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff View Post
May I suggest the use of the MSD Mod 6. No need for distributor and wires...etc.etc Uses the stock 4v Cops for a clean install, just uses the crank trigger, cam trigger and you can wire in a 2 bar MAP (comes with it) for vacuum advance if desired. Very clean setup, and easy to tune.
Correct. Not sure why I said DIS6.I deal with too many (rusty according to Glenn) parts.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 03-27-2014, 03:38 AM
NeverEnuff's Avatar
NeverEnuff NeverEnuff is offline
HPM Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 548
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MartyO View Post
I have a set of '03-'04 Cobra heads in the car.

I tried using a set of BBK long tubes from a 4.6 but they were no bueno.

There was apparently a company called FTP that made headers but I can not find any soloed information for them.

Some folks recommended the JBA 4v shorty headers but I am not sure which ones they are suggesting. The other problems are not only are they not cheap, from the pictures that I have seen, they look like they will be a tight squeeze too.

Once I get past this hurdle, the rest of the car should be a pretty straight forward build.


Oh, and another thought I have is to use K member spacers, which "shoo;d" pick me up "some" room.

yeah they will all be a prob when considering longtubes. This is why I mentioned macs. Get a used set. Cut the tubes to get them to fit and extend the pipes where needed.

Yes a set of shorties will fit and barely any mods are needed to make it work with the mid pipe.

JBA does make some mid length. I do not know of anyone running them, but Im sure someone is, and Im almost certain they would fit...that is assuming they fit around or by the steering shaft on the fox. The location on the fox is different than the SN95 cars. This is why a lot of aftermarket headers do not clear the fox shaft with a modular header/motor. Only ones that I have got to fit and know of is Kooks, and MAC as they have the primaries wrap around the shaft. Others like BBK and ARH bend the primaries between it and the motor. I personally like ARH better than Kooks, but unless I want to build my own headers, Ill use what I can. Not that ARH has anything more to offer over Kooks, just a personal preference.

Only problem I forsee with K member spacers, is if you want the headers to clear more, you are talking about a good inch or more...every inch you add between the body and K, is an inch the car gets higher. Obviously this changes with coil overs in the opposite direction being that you are adding distance between the a arm and the body...effectively lowering your car with the more you add unless you get longer springs and making less room for the collectors...

Also...lowering isn't the only problem as the 5.4 is wider, so that may make issues with the steering shaft getting in the way.

Haven't tried this stuff myself, but just issues I have been thinking about how to get around when I get mine in the car after this deployment.
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 03-27-2014, 08:56 AM
MartyO's Avatar
MartyO MartyO is offline
Super Duper MO derator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hiram, GA
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff View Post
yeah they will all be a prob when considering longtubes. This is why I mentioned macs. Get a used set. Cut the tubes to get them to fit and extend the pipes where needed.

Yes a set of shorties will fit and barely any mods are needed to make it work with the mid pipe.

JBA does make some mid length. I do not know of anyone running them, but Im sure someone is, and Im almost certain they would fit...that is assuming they fit around or by the steering shaft on the fox. The location on the fox is different than the SN95 cars. This is why a lot of aftermarket headers do not clear the fox shaft with a modular header/motor. Only ones that I have got to fit and know of is Kooks, and MAC as they have the primaries wrap around the shaft. Others like BBK and ARH bend the primaries between it and the motor. I personally like ARH better than Kooks, but unless I want to build my own headers, Ill use what I can. Not that ARH has anything more to offer over Kooks, just a personal preference.

Only problem I forsee with K member spacers, is if you want the headers to clear more, you are talking about a good inch or more...every inch you add between the body and K, is an inch the car gets higher. Obviously this changes with coil overs in the opposite direction being that you are adding distance between the a arm and the body...effectively lowering your car with the more you add unless you get longer springs and making less room for the collectors...

Also...lowering isn't the only problem as the 5.4 is wider, so that may make issues with the steering shaft getting in the way.

Haven't tried this stuff myself, but just issues I have been thinking about how to get around when I get mine in the car after this deployment.
I read that the BBK 4.6 headers (which is what I have) will not fit and were the worst choice for me (luckily I took them on trade and I can always re-sell or trade them back out.

I have not been able to track a JBA part number that will work.

I am a Stainless Works dealer so I am going to speak to my guy there.

I was not aware of what Kooks had to offer but will look.

We also can make a set of headers and I have not crossed that off the list as a possibility, it is just that i hate to have work done on my car(s) when a customer's car is waiting.

As far as dropping the K member (raising the car), if I go much more than a half inch, I am going to run into driveline issues with the angle.

I wish I could find these FTP people that supposedly make a P'nP set up....
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 03-28-2014, 03:18 AM
NeverEnuff's Avatar
NeverEnuff NeverEnuff is offline
HPM Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 548
Default

Everyone wishes that. lol.

I wanted to work with Kooks and ARH about making a set for me, but they woudln't cut me a break at all. Plus all the driving to them. etc etc. If they are going to make money on my car/intall, I would at least like a little bit of a hook up.

Plus if I do it myself. Scratch another thing off the bucket list.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 03-28-2014, 08:54 AM
MartyO's Avatar
MartyO MartyO is offline
Super Duper MO derator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hiram, GA
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff View Post
Everyone wishes that. lol.

I wanted to work with Kooks and ARH about making a set for me, but they woudln't cut me a break at all. Plus all the driving to them. etc etc. If they are going to make money on my car/intall, I would at least like a little bit of a hook up.

Plus if I do it myself. Scratch another thing off the bucket list.
I spoke to my guy at Stainless Works where I am a dealer and they could only offer me a kit to build my own.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 03-28-2014, 09:03 AM
NeverEnuff's Avatar
NeverEnuff NeverEnuff is offline
HPM Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 548
Default

Yeah. Seems like thats how all us 5.4 Fox guys are going to have to go. I think Im going to just buy a kit and make mine myself.

And if you plan on doing this. www.mandrel-bends.com have the flanges for your heads at a decent price, along with all the other piping and collectors and forms and stuff you need to do a set.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 03-28-2014, 09:04 AM
NeverEnuff's Avatar
NeverEnuff NeverEnuff is offline
HPM Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 548
Default

http://www.mandrel-bends.com/catalog...less-2372.html

NOt bad for SS in 3/8".
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 03-28-2014, 09:06 AM
MartyO's Avatar
MartyO MartyO is offline
Super Duper MO derator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hiram, GA
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff View Post
Yeah. Seems like thats how all us 5.4 Fox guys are going to have to go. I think Im going to just buy a kit and make mine myself.

And if you plan on doing this. www.mandrel-bends.com have the flanges for your heads at a decent price, along with all the other piping and collectors and forms and stuff you need to do a set.

Neat site!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff View Post

Not at all!!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 03-30-2014, 09:07 PM
Brutal DSG's Avatar
Brutal DSG Brutal DSG is offline
BRUTAL TURTLE
 
Join Date: Oct 2008
Location: ROCKLAND NY
Posts: 7,389
Default

That's really cool glad to see your doing something with that car!
__________________
My friend, Thomas Jefferson is an American saint because he wrote the words 'All men are created equal', words he clearly didn't believe since he allowed his own children to live in slavery. He's a rich white snob who's sick of paying taxes to the Brits. So, yeah, he writes some lovely words and aroused the rabble and they went and died for those words while he sat back and drank his wine and fuc%ed his slave girl. This guy wants to tell me we're living in a community? Don't make me laugh. I'm living in America, and in America you're on your own. America's not a country. It's just a business. Now fuc%in' pay me.
Fore Innovations Dealer
2011 Honda Accord (The Daily)
2013 Jeep Overland (Wifes whip)
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 03-31-2014, 09:21 AM
MartyO's Avatar
MartyO MartyO is offline
Super Duper MO derator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hiram, GA
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brutal DSG View Post
That's really cool glad to see your doing something with that car!
Why don't you come whittle me a set of headers?
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 04-01-2014, 04:25 AM
NeverEnuff's Avatar
NeverEnuff NeverEnuff is offline
HPM Supporting Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Texas
Posts: 548
Default

Maybe Ill make 2 sets. Youll get the first set. lol.
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 04-01-2014, 09:18 AM
MartyO's Avatar
MartyO MartyO is offline
Super Duper MO derator
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Hiram, GA
Posts: 5,404
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by NeverEnuff View Post
Maybe Ill make 2 sets. Youll get the first set. lol.
Ok!! Are they done yet????
Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump



All times are GMT -4. The time now is 08:48 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.5
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
Copyright ?2008 - 2009, High Performance Mustangs, Inc.