Mustang GT Discuss the 1994-2004 Ford Mustang GT

Old 01-31-2011, 05:44 PM
Dedicated Member

Turbo or blower do what you want
Old 01-31-2011, 05:52 PM
I'm your pusher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennSullivan View Post
I have quite a bit of knowledge on 95 cars as of course I own one and have been through a number of changes.

Don't worry about the stock block they are good to about 500 RWHP.

I like the T-trim but maybe Vortech's new self contained blower would be better as you would not have to punch a hole in the oil pan.

What intake do you have? If stock, getting a Cobra intake will do wonders for the car, especially with a blower.

The 94-95 computer will come into play as it was crippled over the A9L to pull timing out at every high RPM shift to protect the trans.

There is someting called an Extender, they are not made any longer but you may be able to find one used. It can cure most of the problems inheret to the 94-95 computers.
Its running a GT40 (The real one) intake setup with a 70MM TB. I feel like its a decent intake setup and with a good tune I can make power. I would love to be around 450-475rwhp. But I hear 450 or so is when these blocks are known to split.

Here's the current engine shot
Old 01-31-2011, 06:43 PM
Respected Senior Member

The only way those blocks split at 500 hp is with a really bad tune or severe abuse. I hung around with literally scores of guys with stock block 5.0's running down into the 10's

Julian - (Jules) has a 95 with a S-Trim. Was featured in 5.0 mag a few years ago. It runs really well. He previously had a Zex kit on it and then switched to the blower because he got tired of filling the bottle. I'll ask him to pipe in on this, thread.
Old 01-31-2011, 06:46 PM
I'm your pusher...

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlennSullivan View Post
The only way those blocks split at 500 hp is with a really bad tune or severe abuse. I hung around with literally scores of guys with stock block 5.0's running down into the 10's

Julian - (Jules) has a 95 with a S-Trim. Was featured in 5.0 mag a few years ago. It runs really well. He previously had a Zex kit on it and then switched to the blower because he got tired of filling the bottle. I'll ask him to pipe in on this, thread.
Good to hear indeed... I would like to hear a bit from Jules, Ghost & Ant
Old 01-31-2011, 07:13 PM
Truly Dedicated Member

saw this one on corral
http://forums.corral.net/forums/show....php?t=1264200
1989 Mustang GT 333 STROKER Probe SRS 4cc flattop pistons, 10.7:1 comp., AFR 185 58cc Heads, Comp NX274HR Cus grind Cam, .550/.570, 70mm Accufab, 75mm PMAS Bullit, 30lb inj, SCTII tune, 4 Bank Eliminator chip, ZEX Nitrous
Old 01-31-2011, 07:52 PM
Respected Senior Member

A word of advice on used blowers, if anything goes wrong with your used blower, it will be $800 - $1000 for repair (speaking from experience of owning many Vortech units and having some foreign material run through one)

For me the only exception to this rule would be I personally know the person I'm buying it from and they bought the blower new.

My advice is negotiate hard and only buy new, at least buy the head unit new, the brackets and pulleys don't really matter if they are in good visual condition.

If you decide to go Vortech, I may actually have many of the brackets, pulleys and other parts that make up a 94-95 Vortech kit as I switched my car over to 86-93 intake style years ago.

The 94-95 stock fuel rails flow well and are much better than the 86-93 units. I used the stockers up to 575 RWHP.

The advice given previously 48lb - 50lb injectors is good. Try to avoid using the FMU unit they are sometimes unreliable, A set of 50's will carry you through 500RWHP in a blown car without an FMU if you have the pumps behind it.

I ran an in-tank and an in-line Walbro past 500RWHP. They are cheap, reliable and much quieter than the Vortech pumps.

BTW It is probably best to find your tuner first and let him advise you on the selection of the electronics as they should be the stuff he is most comfortable with.

Good luck
Old 01-31-2011, 08:13 PM
I'm your pusher...

I'm down to two tuners so that's almost a wrap...

I looked at the price of a base mount kit after speaking to Vortech today and the price is very high IMO. Unless I switch to Fox stuff. I did find a new kit that is complete and never installed for under $2k its a V2 SQ but it is a 5yr old kit however so no idea if thats a good or bad thing.
Old 01-31-2011, 09:07 PM
HPM Supporting Member

if it has sat for 5 years, its gonna need new seals...
Old 01-31-2011, 09:09 PM
HPM Supporting Member

doesn't have to be vortech either. Shop for a procharger or a paxton too...
Old 01-31-2011, 11:24 PM
I'm your pusher...

For a blower I do like the P1SC, T Trim and Novi setups as well.
Old 02-01-2011, 08:13 AM
HPMustangs.com
Owner and Founder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4VTerror View Post
For a blower I do like the P1SC, T Trim and Novi setups as well.
I had the P-1SC and absolutely hated the Procharger Tensioner system.........
Old 02-01-2011, 09:03 AM
Respected Senior Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snipes View Post
I had the P-1SC and absolutely hated the Procharger Tensioner system.........
Wes The Vortech tensioner system is not great either, especially on the 94-95standard rotation units. Its manual and must be regularly adjusted with a large breaker or prybar. I've actually stripped the threads from over tightening and needed to install SS thread inserts

I like the quality of the Vortech Head units and I never had a seal problem which Prochargers are known for.

If memory serves correctly, Procharger does not make a drivers side kit for the 94-95, which forces relocation of the battery to the trunk (or at least they did not when I was buying them).

From what I've seen, the Vortech advantage is better manufacturing, Vortech also makes Paxton so it is the same quality.

Here is an old pic of my T-Trim with the stock 8 Rib pulley combination, you can see the bullshit manual tensioner.

Procharger's advantage is the step up ratio in the gearbox is bigger allowing you to run a larger pulley on the blower than an equivalent Vortech greatly reducing the possibly of belt slip.

I actually went to a custom 10 rib setup years ago to eliminate the Vortech belt slip. But if you stay with the standard 3.33 blower pulley you will be fine.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:17 AM
HPMustangs.com
Owner and Founder

Good info Glenn..........I had all but forgotten about the D/S mount as well. Added alot of unnecessary plumbing
Old 02-01-2011, 09:26 AM
I'm your pusher...

I think I will be focused on getting that whoosh sound from a turbo setup. In the meantime I may do a cam, mass air, pump & tune. I'm all confused

Last edited by SledgeHammer; 02-01-2011 at 09:54 AM.
Old 02-01-2011, 09:45 AM
Respected Member

Sorry I'm late. I run a stock cam on a 95 GT. I have an original svt gt40 intake that has been honed. Edelbrock heads with 1.7 rockers. 65mm tb, 90 mass air. Injectors, I think were 54 pound with an inline pump and 255 intanke (fuel=safe). Anderson power pipe. All the work was done by Jimmy C. formerly of Larocca's and the car was tuned with a real safe tune buy Dave Guy, it's an SCT tune. The car can sit in traffic and never over heat, it still has air, runs and starts like a champ. I made something like 456 rwhp with a real safe tune. The car, running with 18 inch (heavy) chrome bullets and drag radials runs consistent 12.15@115. Before, withe less power and on slicks and skinnies, Glenn will remember this, it ran a 12.0019. lmao So close to 11's. With a real driver who beats the piss out a car..no problems. I hope this helps, nothing better then at a gas station or a light and someone asks whats the sound from the car...I always tell them loose belt. Good luck.
Jules

P.S. I see 12 pounds of boost. A cam would have easily pushed the car over 500.

Got Boost?