View Full Version : going to ny city for the first time and looking for some insite

shady ooc
08-21-2010, 04:05 PM
like the title says. we are going to the big city in November. can anyone suggest a modest place to stay. should i stay in NJ and commute? what to see? we are planning to go to the statue of liberty and check out ground zero. i have two kids 8 and 10. any suggestions will be appreciated. thanks.

08-21-2010, 04:59 PM
I would suggest stayin in either NJ or Westchester County and commuting in via the path train or Metro North. This will save you a tremendous amount on hotels and parking of your car.

There was a similar thread not too long ago that may be of some help:

08-21-2010, 07:17 PM
Like Snipes said that thread gives a bunch of insight... You'll find the cost and commute from NJ to NYC is quick and cheap. Along with less expensive hotels in NJ vs NYC

shady ooc
08-21-2010, 11:40 PM
thanks. we are checking out the hotels now.

shady ooc
08-22-2010, 12:43 PM
we are thinking of staying here at the Embassy Suites Secaucus - Meadowlands
455 Plaza Drive, Secaucus, New Jersey. anyone stayed here? is it easy to get to the city from here?

08-22-2010, 02:51 PM
Secaucus will be a little rough on the weekends as the Port Athority has a limited weekend schedule:

It's not far by car though, you can jump rite on the Lincoln tunnel and shoot rite into to Manhattan from there. I must warn you though, Manhattan fetches some high parking rates and your car will always be at risk. Parking summons are up to $115 also!!!!